Today I thought that I’d change something on my blog. So I’ve finally written a discussion post. *YAY*
I’ll try to post these discussion posts every Saturday from now on so if you have a topic you absolutely want to talk about feel free to tell me on Twitter, Instagram, or write it in the comments down below!
And without further ado, let’s start!
- First of all, you can read whatever you want and this whenever you desire! If you’re bored in the middle of your current read, there is always the possibility to switch immediately to another book. And this without having to move from your bed or couch. Especially if you are in a comfortable position.
- Furthermore, for those of you that have eye problems, you can easily change the size of the writing or even the font if something doesn’t work for you. If your eyes start getting tired you can adapt the lighting of your e-reader to your tastes. This is helpful when you like to read in your bedroom with the lights of your room turned off.
- The last argument for the e-book that I can give you is that it’s light and eco-friendly. You don’t have a heavy physical copy of your book in your handbag. (unless you’re me and you have to have multiple books in your bag including the Kindle and in the end, you don’t even need all of this) Like I mentioned above e-books are eco-friendlier than a paperback or a hardcover book. There is no paper printed out.
- Now let’s talk about the Cons! First of all the Battery. Even though you have a few weeks before you need to recharge your e-reader, it’s still annoying! Especially when you are in the middle of your book and then suddenly you get the message that your reader is out of battery. There is nothing more irritating than that. This doesn’t happen with a physical book.
- Next thing is the smell. Okay, you’ll probably think that I’m deranged, but I love the smell of a new/old book. There is nothing better than the feeling you get when you hold a book in your hand and it smells amazing. (Please tell me that I’m not the only one like that!)
- The last thing is the feeling of a real book. You’ll never have this feeling while reading an e-book. It feels nice having a big chunk of a book in your hand and that you can turn pages. Like real pages and not having to touch a screen to change a page!
- Like I mentioned in the “Cons” Section of the e-books a pro of a physical copy is definitely the smell.
- You can also turn the pages which is awesome, as you can feel the book and the paper in your hands.
- And have you already considered how many shelves you can fill with your physical books? That feeling of joy you get when you can add a new book to your shelves or when you can rearrange them with all the beautiful books you have!
- A minus point has to be that some of the books can be quite chunky. Don’t get me wrong. I love big books but they are so freaking heavy! And sometimes the font size is so small. In that case, it is definitely helpful to have an e-version of that book.
- Another thing is that the physical books take a lot of place in your home, rooms, shelves, etc. Like for example in my bedroom, there are books on the floor, on my desk, bed,… To summarize: Books are everywhere in my room. In the future, there will be no floor anymore. Which brings us to the next and last point of today’s discussion.
- All of the endless books that you can’t put on your shelves anymore. Because there is no place left, the book doesn’t go with the other books on the shelf and many other valid reasons to not put your books on your bookshelf.
I have to say, that I was always against e-books as I prefer the feeling of a “real” book in my hands. However, after purchasing a Kindle Paperwhite my view changed completely. I already had a Sony e-Reader which my parents bought me as a gift for Christmas a few years back. But I didn’t like that e-reader so much and as the Sony store closed a few months after I couldn’t use it anymore. Since then I’ve only read physical books but since I’m a university student my Backpack is already full of uni stuff so that most of the time I simply couldn’t bring a heavy paperback with me. So I decided to buy a Kindle and it was the best investment I ever made! I can have multiple books with me and that on a tiny device. There are so many possibilities that you have while reading an e-book which you don’t have with a paperback. You can see how much time you have left in the chapter or the book. But, I still like to read an actual physical book. I only read e-books when I’m on the go and at home, I never actually read on my kindle. Unless I have an e-ARC to read.
Neither the physical book nor the e-book will win. It’s even! Everyone has their own tastes. So if you prefer one thing over the other that’s fine. I like both but I still prefer the actual book where I can change pages by myself.
What about you? Please let me know in the comments below! And don’t forget: If you want to see something specific please let me know!